Jane Doe I was born and raised in the People’s Republic of China. In May 2000, Jane Doe I went to Beijing to appeal the arbitrary arrests, detentions, and torture of Falun Gong practitioners. While in Tiananmen Square, she witnessed a police officer kicking a young man who was lying on the ground. When she asked the officer to stop, she also was arrested and beaten. She was brought to a Beijing district detention center and held without charge or opportunity to see a family member or lawyer for 20 days.

In the detention center, Jane Doe I was interrogated daily, repeatedly beaten, and, on at least one occasion, tortured with electric shocks through needles placed in her body. During this period of beatings and other torture, Jane Doe I lost her ability to eat, though she was not on a hunger strike. She was taken to another location where she was force-fed through a tube placed into her nose. The tube caused her unbearable pain and discomfort to the point of coughing blood. After being released to her home in another city, Jane Doe I remained subject to constant surveillance, and to further arrests and interrogation. She eventually fled China, and presently resides in the United States.

Jane Doe II was born and raised in the People’s Republic of China. In July 1999, she traveled to Beijing to appeal to the Chinese government on behalf of Falun Gong practitioners who had been arbitrarily arrested and sentenced by the government. She was arrested without being advised of any charges against her, and was refused the opportunity to contact family or legal counsel. She was then taken to a stadium with thousands of other practitioners, where guards attempted to force the practitioners to renounce their spiritual beliefs. Jane Doe II was then returned to her hometown in handcuffs and detained there for three days, still without charge.

In May 2000, Jane Doe II returned to Beijing to appeal her government’s unlawful persecution of Falun Gong.  She was arrested at a demonstration in Tiananmen Square after she called out to protest the police for beating another practitioner at the demonstration. Police officers repeatedly slapped her in the face and on her ears, causing her to temporarily lose her hearing.  Over the course of several weeks, Jane Doe II was detained at police facilities and in a psychiatric hospital, where she was beaten, stripped, subjected to serial interrogation, and forcibly fed through a tube inserted in the nose.

Jane Doe II continued to suffer further persecution after her release from detention. She eventually fled China and received political asylum in the United States.

Helen Petit is a citizen of France. On November 20, 2001, she was detained after she began to meditate with a group of other Falun Gong practitioners in Tiananmen Square. While being detained, she was strangled by a police officer. In police custody, she was physically assaulted by police officers. When officers tried to separate her and a friend from other practitioners who also had been arrested, she and the friend were thrown down a flight of stairs. Later, after her mobile phone rang, six officers threw themselves on her and bruised her arms and legs. One of the officers attempted to force his hands into her vagina while she was being held down. Helen was never advised that she had been charged with any offense, and was not permitted to contact her embassy or consult with legal counsel. After being detained for 24 hours or more, Helen was deported back to France.

Martin Larsson is a citizen of Sweden. On November 20, 2001, Martin was detained in Tiananmen Square after beginning to meditate with other practitioners. Martin was taken with other Falun Gong practitioners to the same police station close to Tiananmen Square. After being repeatedly interrogated and moved between different rooms and cells, the group was taken to a hotel near the Beijing airport, which seemed to be operated by the police. There, Martin was separated from the group and taken to a separate room. After refusing to sign a document written in Chinese, a language which Martin did not understand, and resisting having his photo taken, two police officers grabbed his arms and locked them behind his back while a third officer pulled his hair back in an attempt to take his photo. They continued to grip him in this way as a fourth officer placed him in a chokehold. The officers also hit and pushed Martin. During his detention, Martin was never informed of any charges against him, and was not permitted access to legal counsel or to contact his embassy. Martin was deported to Sweden the following day.

Leeshai Lemish is a citizen of Israel and the United States. Leeshai was arrested as he began to meditate in Tiananmen Square on November 20, 2001, and taken to a nearby police station. After attempting to protect one of the detainees being abused by a police officer, Leeshai was taken to a small interrogation room and beaten by an officer. The officer hit Leeshai across the face, grabbed his shoulders and kneed him in the crotch. The officer pinched Leeshai’s nose between his fingers and made threatening gestures. He then ordered Leeshai to get down on the floor so he could be beaten with greater force. The officer relented when Leeshai refused. Leeshai was never charged with any offense, and was not permitted access to legal counsel or to contact his embassy. He was interrogated repeatedly during his detention and prevented from sleeping. After being detained for some 27 hours, Leeshai was put on a flight to Vancouver.

Roland Odar is a citizen and resident of Sweden. On November 20, 2001, soon after he and other plaintiffs had unfurled a pro-Falun Gong banner, they were surrounded by police officers. The officers dragged him over the asphalt and forced him into a van. He watched as the officers hit another practitioner in the face as they forced him inside the van, too. Roland was hit several times in the face, causing him to fall backwards onto van floor. At that time, a number of officers kicked and hit him repeatedly. Roland was taken first to the police station and then to an airport hotel where he was interrogated. He was never informed of any charges against him, permitted to call his embassy, or provided access to legal counsel.  He was deported the following day to Sweden.